PREREQUISITE:MS SQL Server 2008 requires .NET framework and windows installer. If these two components are not installed in your system it will prompt you to install both of them automatically if you have Internet connected on your system:
- Prompt for the Prerequisite
- Extracting files require by the installer.
- Loading setup to install prerequisites
- .NET License agreement. Click “Install >” to proceed (downloading files from web).
- Downloading components from Microsoft’s website.
- Installing downloaded components.
- Update Complete
- Now install the “Windows Installer” component to its latest release. Follow the following windows respectively.
Click Next to proceed and install “Windows Installer”
- License Terms & Agreement, Read & Click Next.
- Start Installation of Windows Installer.
- Restart services required by windows installer.
- You should now have .NET & Windows Installer and any hot fix’s on your system, your preresiqute are complete.
- Reboot your computer
INSTALLATION: Follow this procedure to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008:
- Choose the Installation section displayed in the Left side of the wizard.
- Installation will look like something like below; Select the first option to install the SQL Server 2008.
- Setup will now run support rules to checkup & optimize your system’s configuration for SQL Server 2008.
- Rule Check in Progress
- If you have passed all your support rules then the following screen will appear.
- Click “OK” in the above screen to proceed installing the SQL Server.
- Type in your product key and click “Next” to proceed further.
- License agreement “I accept” to continue.
- Setup Support Files, click “Next” to continue.
- Run the setup rules again, click “Next” to proceed
- Select components needed for your installation then click “Next”. Note for clustered installations,only Database Services & Analysis Services can be clustered.
- Setup the name and Instant ID for the SQL Configuration. Default instance (normally localhost).
- Disk space requirements. Scans all drives, you can change the location of the installation during the instillation step 16.
- Now, in this window you can define server configurations that which service will run under which account name of your system. Or you can also use same account name for all services by clicking on button “Use the same account for all SQL Server services”
- Clicking on the “Use the same account for all SQL Server services” button in the above screen will display the following window; select the account name from Account Name field.
- Database Engine Configuration, authentication & data directories. Windows authentication mode or Mixed mode.Mixed mode will allow the SQL Server to also run its own authentication. Data directories tab you can specify the SQL Server Installation location.
- Error and usage reporting. Big Brother.
- Installation Rules, setup will determine if any part of the installation will be blocked.
- So, now you are ready to install SQL Server 2008.
- Installation in progress, this process could take 30 to 45 mins. Now would be a good time for a break.
Setup is complete. Remember to reboot.